Working with 8 – 16 year olds
YAC is open to young people aged between 8 – 16 years and keeping the oldest and youngest members of your club engaged can be tricky. Clubs have various ways of dealing with this, and you may need to try a few approaches to find what works best for your group.
- If you have a large membership and team of volunteers, you could split your club into older and younger groups and run separate sessions.
- Design activities to run at different levels. Older members could be set more challenging tasks or given more detailed handouts.
- Split members into age-related groups during sessions.
- Use the older members as ‘peer tutors’ to help assist and explain things to younger members.
- Plan a range of activities for a session that members can move between freely, allowing them to spend more time on activities they find most engaging
For more ideas of how to work with young people with a range of ages and abilities, do try asking other YAC Leaders for their experiences and advice. Remember to use the YAC email network or Facebook group, or contact YAC HQ.